5. Create a writing schedule: dedicate the same span of time per day to writing and creativity. This gets you brain all primed a ready to perform. Give it at least a week to kick in.
4. Just 10: set a timer for 10 minutes where you write, edit, or brainstorm with little distraction.
3. Change your environment: head to a park, coffe shop, maybe even a museum to trigger some motivation.
2. Research: when you take time to read related articles and books it can help you understand your own point of view. Sometimes you can find glaringly missing perspectives in the literature and you can find your angle in the white spaces.
1. Stick with it: when stuck in writer’s block people tend to want to quit, but the more you work the article the more ideas you can get. So, take a breath, get some coffee and get back in there.
Sometimes a girl just wants something pretty and sometimes there’s more to the art of making something beautiful. In honor of May being Mental Health Month I want to talk about how crafting can help your mental state. You’re probably thinking “what!?!” “How does crafting help me mentally?” Well, engaging in an activity that you enjoy and find yourself lost in helps you reach a state of alpha brain activity called, Flow. This researcher named Mihaly Csikszentminalyi-try saying that 3 times fast-found that we experience less depression and more joy when we engage in activities that require focus and attention. This does wonders for brain neuroconnectivity which can have an impact on our general outlook on life. So, Dr Ally is writing you a script for one craft this week. Let’s get to it!
What will you need?
A piece of marble (mine was a little thick and heavy, I’d recommend something a little lighter).
2 drawer pulls
Clear round bumpers
Metallic spray paint (mine was rose gold)
Spray your drawer pulls. I used about 3 layers of paint.
Stick your round bumpers to the underside of your marble. These will keep your tray from sitting directly on a surface.
Measure how far you want your handles to go from the edge. Can you believe I’ve been using a centimeter ruler all these years and wasn’t even paying attention. Yes metric!!!
Add a drop of glue. This stuff is serious and goes a long way. You may also ways a mask, the fumes are pretty intense.
Wipe away any excess.
And there’s your stunning marble tray! Happy crafting!!!